Thursday, January 15, 2015

Nyx Butter Lip Gloss Review



I bought my first butter gloss online last year because I wasn't even sure if Nyx was sold in Canada or where to find it. Cherry Pie was my first. After that I fell hard and bought six more in that same year. Now they're all available at Target Canada.

Claims from the Nyx website: Buttery soft and silky smooth, our scrumptious new Butter Lip Gloss tastes as sweet as a sugar cookie—and makes your lips look downright luscious. Swipe it on alone or over your favorite lipstick for creamy sheer to medium coverage that melts onto your lips and is never sticky.
Price: $8.99 at Target Canada

This gloss has no taste at all, so I don't know what Nyx is talking about with the whole "tastes as sweet as a sugar cookie" line. It does smell completely heavenly though. Coverage is medium to sheer with some shades like Sugar Cookie running sheerer while others like Cupcake are very pigmented. The gloss doesn't feel sticky on the lips at the outset but as time wears on it begins to feel a little tacky.

Right now I've got six (in the order pictured above):
1. Peaches and Cream
2. Cupcake
3. Sugar Cookie (loved it so much I bought two tubes)
4. Cherry Pie
5. Praline
6. Gingersnap
7. Devil's Food Cake

I really really love them and I'd buy them all if I could.

The formula is lovely. Very moisturizing, glides on like butter. Lasts about four hours before needing a touch up.  It smells like vanilla cupcakes! Of course the smell disspates but it's so lovely I wouldn't really care if it never disspated.

I love the packaging and the slimness of the tubes (but they still have quite a bit of product in them at 8ml each). And the cream finish on all of them makes them so easy to wear.

I've included this picture to show you how the shades compare with one another.


A slightly cool toned red with a cream finish. Fairly pigmented. My first love and one of my favourites.

A neutral chocolate brown with a cream finish. Very pigmented. Such a wonderful nude gloss for those of us women of colour. I cherish this gloss because I know Nyx is the only brand that makes a nude gloss in a colour so deep. I wanted this shade as soon as Nyx announced their new shades.

A bold, cool toned fuchsia with a touch of lilac. Is a little sheer like Cherry Pie. This shade is a great shade to just throw on and add a pretty pop of feminine colour to the lips. I love the way it looks against my skin tone. I've actually finished my first tube because this was a shade I reached for so much.

A slightly milky, very bright pink with hints of coral. It's one of the most pigmented butter glosses out there. I thought it would be a warmer version of Sugar Cookie but its definitely different. I'm not a huge fan of this shade because of how pigmented it is! Generally I prefer semi-sheer lip colours and this one is just very pigmented. Stains my lips after the gloss has worn off.
A slightly milky, cool toned pink. Doesn't apply peachy on my lips (mine at least) at all. It's a sheerer and cooler version of Cupcake. I actually like it a lot because of how subtle it can be.

A blackened red with a slight hint of plum. Super pigmented and very gorgeous. I love how vampy this gloss is! Stains the lips after the gloss has worn off.

A chocolate brown with a hint of peach. Lighter then Gingersnap. So what's the difference between Gingersnap and Praline? I can't tell the difference myself with the tubes so I have to look at the names. Praline is peachier and lighter. Out of the two I prefer Gingersnap as an everyday shade to just throw on by itself. Praline is very nude on my skin, so nude I wouldn't wear it on my NW45 skintone without a smokey eye or at least some colour on my cheeks.

Likes:
1. The delicious scent!
2. How moisturizing these feel on my lips
3. Wide variety of colours in the range
4. Budget friendly
5. Slim, portable packaging

Dislikes:
1. Cupcake is too pigmented (For those of you who love highly pigmented products, this won't be a problem at all!)

 A

No comments:

Post a Comment